The Priory’s contribution to the Royal-themed Bridlington Platinum Jubilee Seacrow and Yarn topper trail: Henry VI in 1450 founds a school at Bridlington Priory for a school master to teach grammar to 12 boys and for them to sing at the altar of St.Mary. The school room was above the north porch. That’s where the wooden stairs in the north aisle lead. And it’s because of that royal license that the Priory’s choristers still wear red cassocks today.
Henry VI was actually King for two reigns, but only managed a total of 40 years.